Friday, June 15, 2012

A Story from the Upanishads

[In the first section of the Chandogya Upanishad, we read of the teaching of the 24-year-old Shvetaketu by his father Uddalaka.]

Shvetaketu had been to school, studying the Vedas for twelve years. He was full of knowledge--and not a little conceited.

His father Uddalaka, perceiving his son's arrogance, called to him, and asked: "Shvetaketu, with all your swagger, have you, my boy, ever sought out knowledge of that which though we hear cannot be heard, though we perceive cannot be perceived, though we know cannot be known?"

Shvetaketu, of course, had no idea what his revered father was talking about. "What is this knowledge, Father?" he asked in confusion.

Uddalaka replied: "Son, by knowing one lump of clay you may learn about everything made of clay; the only difference between such things is the name, a result of speech. But the truth is that all such things are of the same substance. Likewise, by knowing one nugget of gold, you may learn about everything made of gold; the only difference between such things is the name, a result of speech. But the truth is that all such things are of the same substance. And the same is true for even the simplest tools made of iron. This, my son, is the knowledge of which I speak."

Shvetaketu said: "My respected teachers must not have known this, for if they had, they surely would have told me. Won't you please tell me more of this knowledge, Father?" And Uddalaka agreed to do so.

[A long series of teachings follows. In sections 12 and 13, two of the most famous illustrations of "You are That" are given.]

Uddalaka: "Bring me a fruit from the banyan tree."
Shvetaketu: "Here is one, Father."
Uddalaka: "Break it open."
Shvetaketu: "It is broken, Father."
Uddalaka: "What do you see there?"
Shvetaketu: "These tiny seeds."
Uddalaka: "Now break one of them open."
Shvetaketu: "It is broken, Father."
Uddalaka: "What do you see there?"
Shvetaketu: "Nothing, Father."
Uddalaka: "My son, you know there is a subtle essence which you do not perceive, but through that essence the truly immense banyan tree exists. Believe it, my son. Everything that exists has its self in that subtle essence. It is Truth. It is the Self, and you, Shvetaketu, are that."
Shvetaketu: "Please, Father, teach me more."
Uddalaka: "I will, my son,"

Uddalaka: "Place this salt in water, and come back to me in the morning."
The son did as he was told.
Uddalaka (in the morning): "Bring me the salt you put in the water last night."
Shvetaketu (after looking): "Father, I cannot find it."
Uddalaka: "Of course not; it has dissolved. Now taste the water from the surface. How does it taste?"
Shvetaketu: "It's salty."
Uddalaka: "Taste the water from the middle of the bowl. How does it taste?"
Shvetaketu: "It's salty."
Uddalaka: "Now taste the water from the bottom. How does it taste?"
Shvetaketu: "It's salty."
Uddalaka: "Go, throw it away and come back to me."
He did so, and returned.
Shvetaketu: "But, father, although I have thrown it away, the salt remains."
Uddalaka: "Likewise, though you cannot hear or perceive or know the subtle essence, it is here. Everything that exists has its self in that subtle essence. It is Truth. It is the Self, and you, Shvetaketu, are that."
Shvetaketu: "Please, Father, teach me more."
Uddalaka: "I will, my son."

[The teaching continues; but this is enough for our purposes.]

No comments:

Post a Comment